Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Autumn Forest Lake

"Autumn Forest Lake" 18"w x 18"h
This past summer I went fishing a few times on lakes north of my home and was outsmarted by the fish as usual. I did manage to catch a few sunnies and pumpkinseeds though, which was fun as they remind me of childhood fishing adventures. While I was in the boat, I was enjoying the shorelines of the lakes as they offered a nice selection of rocks, trees, shrubs and sky to gaze at. I took many photos and a couple friends gave me a hard time about it, but that's ok, I like the reference photos even if I don't work directly from them, as the photos will trigger ideas and give me inspiration when I'm staring at a blank canvas. Today's piece is one of many that is inspired from those fishing trips. This one, titled Autumn Forest Lake, features thin bright birch trees on a deep cobalt blue background. Autumn is in the air as the shrubs along the rocky shoreline are decked out in blazing color. The color divides the painting in thirds, and the sky and water sparkle as if trying to catch your attention. If only I could catch those fish ....

This painting featured today is part of my Fall Forests show which may viewed now through mid December, 2013 at First Lutheran Church in Duluth, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment