Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Aspire

"Aspire" 12"w x 24"h
This piece was painted alongside another painting which I featured on yesterday's post titled Ever Reaching. This painting, titled Aspire, has one white pine as it's focal point, along with five maples on a ridge behind it. While I added in my usual elements, such as rocks, shadows, color, etc ... I really focused on the branches of the white pine in this piece. As I've been driving around Duluth, I've been noticing how interesting the forms of the white pines are. They don't grow straight or predictable branches such as you'd find in a spruce. Their branches jut out every which way, often with larger branches in the middle of the tree, and small branches above and below. Perhaps that's why I like the white pines, they're not afraid to be different. Logging in northern Minnesota has taken it's toll on these majestic trees, but you'll still find them in areas too difficult to reach by foot, or in the yards of homes built over a hundred years ago. Please contact Lizzards Gallery for more information on today's piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment