Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Gold Birch Glow

Acrylic on 12"wx6"h canvas SOLD
Available at Sivertson Gallery, Grand Marais, MN

While this painting features many elements I've been incorporating into my work as of late such as the birch trees, brown and gold foreground, rocks and shades of blue, I've been adding in the sun or moon to some of my work to get a feel for how a central focal point feels. I've always wanted to capture the feeling and emotion of the landscape and not draw attention to one specific element, so adding the sun to this piece has caused me to pause and return to it more than with my usual work. The sun and moon appear in many of the new works at Sivertson Gallery in Grand Marais, and just may be appearing more in my work as time goes on, we'll just see. One thing I love about today's piece is the depth captured on such a small canvas. I just love the thought that you're able to view the lake and take in all these other elements at once ... perhaps it's the anticipation that you're approaching the lake and can see it off in the distance through the trees. The weather has been so hot lately, I'd love to go jump into the lake myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment