Monday, July 30, 2012

Cardinal Companions Triptych


Cardinal Companions Triptych, Acrylic on three 4"w x 4"h canvases

Part of my Intimate Landscapes show which can be viewed July 25-Aug 20, 2012 at The Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors, MN. 

I've grown fond of this cardinal theme in the last several months. I wonder what would happen if I only painted cardinals. My work would be easily identified, and if that's the purpose, that would be great. But then I enjoy new subject matters too. What I do know is my cardinals disappear off gallery walls at a rate that surprises me. I'm grateful for the sales but more importantly, I'm grateful that people enjoy the cardinals and desire to collect them.

Perhaps that in itself would be reason to paint them for the rest of my art career.

More me, the cardinals have meaning, and I'm not exactly sure yet what that is, but I do know I see them representing true friendship and fellowship. In our modern world we have grown connected and disconnected at the same time ... and viewing these cardinal companions in the landscape, gathering together as they always have without the aid of computers and technology gives me a warmth and nostalgic feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment