Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Emerald Birchland


Emerald Birchland, Acrylic on Canvas, 12"wx12"h, SOLD

Today's painting is the first of 25 new paintings from my Intimate Landscapes show July 25-Aug 20, 2012 at The Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors, MN. The show features many familiar landscapes that I've enjoyed painting over the last year such as bluestone birches, twilight maples, cardinals and more. The name of the show, Intimate Landscapes, comes from the small sizes of the paintings in this show. I've also incorporated many works that feature the color green. Today's post is an interesting take on the birch landscapes that I've grown so fond of. The evergreen ridge in the distance anchors this piece and the emerald green birch leaves in multiple layers of opacity complement the green foreground. I'm especially happy with the foreground, I love the shadows set off by the green on the burnt sienna colored forest floor. This is the first piece I started for this show, and ironically, it was the last one to be finished. Perhaps that's why I'm so happy with this painting, I put a lot of thought and effort into this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment