Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Asian Maple Glow


Asian Maple Glow, Acrylic on 6"w x 6"h canvas

Part of my Intimate Landscapes show which can be viewed July 25-Aug 20, 2012 at The Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors, MN. 

In painting landscapes I frequently browse the library and search the web for more information on trees. I love maple trees (and birch and evergreens and...) and I wanted to know if a Japanese Maple Acer palmatum could be grown in Minnesota. While they aren't hardy enough for Minnesota's cold winters, there is a similar Korean Maple Acer pseudosieboldianum which is a nice alternative for our cold winters here in the northland. I learned this thanks to the U of M's Extension website.

I'm attracted to the Japanese Maple's form, the branches and trunk twist and turn in many interesting ways. For my show, I decided to try some different compositions based on these beautiful Asian maple trees. So far, I like what's happening on the canvas. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment