Saturday, April 21, 2012

Cardinals Carrying On

Acrylic on 3-6"w x 12"h canvases
Click on image above to enlarge.
$200.00 Please contact Blue Lake Gallery in Duluth to purchase.

This painting for my upcoming Tremendous Trees show at Blue Lake Gallery was a study that I painted before completing yesterday's post 'Cardinals in Coversation'. I wanted to get a feel for the blue pine ridges and the twilight blue sky in the background to see how well they complemented each other. I knew the cardinals were going to pop off the canvas due to their red feathers, but I also wanted just the right shade of blue and I was very happy with this triptych. Color is so key to any painting, so naturally painting something blue that's supposed to be green can be challenging. As I was painting the blue pine ridges in the background I was reminded of a Colorado Blue Spruce tree in the neighbor's yard where I grew up. As a child I would count how many times I could say 'Blue Spruce' before I minced the words and I couldn't quite get past 3 times.

How many times can you say 'Blue Spruce?'

Go ahead, try it. I'll wait. lol.

Perhaps the cardinal on the right panel is annoyed at his two friends who have been able to say 'Blue Spruce' more times than him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment