Friday, August 3, 2012

New work at Blue Lake Gallery Part 2


Red Friends, Acrylic on 6"wx6"h canvas
Summer Cardinal, Acrylic on 6"wx6"h canvas
Today's and tomorrow's post feature the cardinals I've been painting in a series lately. As I've mentioned before, I hesitate to paint them on one hand because people instantly recognize them and identify them with my work. On the other hand, I want every canvas to be something completely new and creative. I'm finding that people seem to prefer the comfort of identifying the artist, of knowing what to expect. I don't find fault in that, I know that gaining recognition as an artist comes from building a body of work that people can relate to and enjoy. The cardinals will most likely continue to appear in my landscapes for some time, we'll see. As a friend noted yesterday, my work makes them smile. That's good enough for me. :)
Evergreen Cardinals Diptych, Acrylic on two 4"wx4"h canvases

No comments:

Post a Comment