Thursday, August 23, 2012

Greenland Diptych

"Greenland Diptych" Acrylic on 2 4"wx12"h canvases
This painting currently available at Sivertson Gallery in Grand Marais, MN features summer birches in a 3:1 vertical scale. Although this piece is on the smaller side, it has a nice vertical scale that is allows the birch trees to be in proportion to the trees I view in the forest. One thing I've noticed recently is that trees are often painted by artists (including me!) way too short. The reason for this, I'm sure, is how they fit the composition or artists are limited by canvas size. But when I walk in the woods, the scale of the trees is just awesome, especially when you stand at the base of the trees and look up. So to be more realistic and accurate, trees need to have longer trunks. I took some photos recently of some birch forests and I'll post them on this blog in the next day or two. This vertical scale is probably something I'll keep exploring ... when I'm not out exploring the fores. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment