Monday, October 21, 2013

Copper Leaves and Copper Birchland

"Copper Birchland" Acrylic on 8:w x 10"h canvas

"Copper Leaves" 10"w x 8"h
Last week I had finished all the framing, wiring, labeling, etc that my work required for the Fall Forests show ahead of schedule. So I took some extra time to work on a couple small 8"w x 10"h canvases and I was pleasantly surprised by what happened. There are subtle differences in these two pieces featured here today as opposed to the rest of the work. There's just a bit more of the different ground colors exposed, and because of that, there's more contrast which causes the birches to really pop on these paintings. I gave them the names they have based on the copper tonal quality of the burnt sienna color as I mixed other paints, changing the value.

These paintings featured today are part of my Fall Forests show which may viewed now through mid December, 2013 at First Lutheran Church in Duluth, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment