Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Birch Forest Bounty

"Birch Forest Bounty" 18"w x 18"h
This piece was painted in a theme I'm quite fond of which I collectively call Through The Birches. Last year I thought it would be fun to work on a painting that completely featured the negative space between the trees, and I was so happy with the result that I've continued in the theme over the past year or so. I'm constantly making subtle changes with each piece in this theme, adding more color, working on the composition, working on the size of the birch tree trunks in the foreground. With this piece I ratcheted up the value of the color in the distant maple ridges in all their autumn crimson, gold and orange glory. I worked quite a bit on this piece, trying to get it just perfect before I brought it in to the show. It's that chase of the perfect painting every artist seems to aspire to yet can't quite grasp. The joy of the chase has to be the forefront of your thought process, otherwise you can fall into the pitfall of dissatisfaction with the result. I try to strike a good balance between critiquing my work and enjoying it. Playing with my kids and periodically painting alongside them helps in this chase, they remind me frequently that it's the joy that is most important. Life is short, enjoy the chase, and don't forget to smile. :)
 
This painting featured today is part of my Fall Forests show which may viewed now through mid December, 2013 at First Lutheran Church in Duluth, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment