Saturday, May 26, 2012

Seven Maples

Acrylic on 20"w x 16"h canvas
Click on image above to enlarge.
$250.00 Please contact Blue Lake Gallery in Duluth to purchase.

This painting was part of my Tremendous Trees show at Blue Lake Gallery.

If you've been reading my thoughts on this blog in the recent past, you know a recurring theme I'm working on is what can be seen through the trees ... essentially focusing on the background. Or as us painters prefer to call it, the negative space of a painting. It's the part of the painting that often gets passed over to get to the subject of the painting. In this case, this painting is titled Seven Maples after the seven colorful maple trees that are ... you guessed it ... in the background. The foreground features seven birch trees. Now you see them, right? If you're like me, you viewed the colorful foliage of the maples against the bright blue sky, followed by the rich burnt sienna tree trunks and ground accented by golds. Then you noticed the foreground. Cool, huh? :) I've painted several canvases in this theme recently ... I know I'm on to something, and I'm happy with what I've accomplished so far, but I know there is something I'm searching for, a look or feel that I'd just love to see emerge on the canvas ... It'll happen, I just need to keep painting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment