Saturday, May 12, 2012

Materialistic Intentions: Twilight Tales

Acrylic on 24"w x 32"h (approx. size) canvas
Click on image above to enlarge.
$250.00 Please contact PROVE Collective Gallery in Duluth to purchase.

This painting is part of the PROVE Collective Gallery's 'Materialistic Intentions' show which can be viewed May 11-24, 2012.

This is the first of three pieces I have hanging in the Materialistic Intentions show at PROVE Collective Gallery in Duluth. The idea of this show is giving consideration to the materials you use. In my case, I paint on canvas. But I wanted to show the process of my work from start to finish. I attempted this by painting on raw canvas and finished canvas. The finished works hang from stretcher bars that are used in my canvases (Although you cannot see them in this image). The bottom of the raw canvas unravels to form long strands that hang down at the bottom of the piece. You just have view these in person .. that's all there is to it. :) I will get some more photos of the paintings hanging in the gallery soon. The painting featured here is titled Twilight Tales and features the cardinals that have been appearing in my work as of late, and birch trees. There is sense of deep peace with these works that I cannot explain at the moment. Perhaps the deep blues and large gathering of cardinals conveys solitude and comfort, perhaps fellowship and support. These paintings were completed during a difficult time while were packing and moving to a new house, all the while not knowing when we were actually moving or if the real estate transaction would even go through. Artwork is always more that just a pretty picture. Often times it's an expression of emotion coming from the artist. I'm still taking in these paintings, knowing they came from deep within me, I'm sure I will be sharing more as I ponder these works.

No comments:

Post a Comment