Monday, January 28, 2013

January Maples and Maple Snow

"January Maples" 4"w x 4"h

"Maple Snow" 4"w x 4"h
Here are a couple of fun little winterscapes. I started with the maples and fully intended to add more color and texture to the trees, but after I painted the snow I realized that they should stay dark to give the snow contrast. This is the end of the spectrum so to speak ... white and black. I can't increase the contrast any more than that, and the snowflakes are titanium white by Golden straight out of the tube. I love to glaze my paints in multiple shades that are thin and semi-transparent, but not the snow. I also had some fun with the shadows, adding in some cobalt blue over burnt sienna ... basically giving the impression that the snow is falling over the forest floor.

Please contact Lizzards Gallery for more information about these paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment