Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Conversing Cardinals

 Acrylic on three 6"w x 12"h canvas
Click on image above to enlarge.
SOLD

This painting was so much fun I had a hard time sending it to the gallery!  I saved the cardinal faces for last, and I laughed as I finished these little guys as it seems as though the cardinal in the middle is agitated about something. I figure the cardinal on the right is making fun of him ... telling the cardinal on the left that the middle cardinal's feathers aren't as red as his... and the cardinal on the left agrees. lol. The cardinals are so striking with their red color, that the composition had to be set before the painting was begun. I originally planned for a solid blue background, but opted to add in some evergreen to the background and I'm really glad I did. The primary colors just pop. I'm planning a large 72"wx36"h triptych featuring cardinals that will take quite a while to finish, but after how this piece turned out, I can't wait to see the large triptych finished ... it will be my largest painting ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment