Thursday, July 16, 2015

Between The Trees

Between The Trees, Sivertson Gallery, Aaron Kloss Art, Pointillism, Landscape Painting
"Between The Trees"  20"w x 16"h
Today's painting titled Between The Trees is a new 20"w x 16"h acrylic on canvas. The title of this painting reflects one of my earliest endeavors in painting which was to concentrate on the negative spaces of a painting ... such as the spaces between the trees in this piece which is a colorful summer birch lakescape with lush greens, blues, and sunset golds.

Artists are taught in school to paint the background first, and make the background look and feel as though it doesn't compete with the foreground or subject matter. So the background is an afterthought to whatever the subject of the painting is, and this approach never caught on with me when I was in art school. To me, every aspect of the painting is important, and the background and negative spaces of a painting can sometimes even be the subject of a painting. How you say something is just as important, if not more important, that what you say. That needs to get into the minds of art instructors. Perhaps this world would be a better place ...

But I'll stop before I get too carried away on the way art should be to me. For now, I'll enjoy this quiet summer morning, and as I view the landscape, I'll remember who I am and what I'm saying as an artist ... and take time to appreciate the space between the trees. Please contact Sivertson Gallery in Grand Marais for more information on this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment