Thursday, February 13, 2014

Night Shift

"Night Shift" 24"w x 24"h, Siiviis Gallery Duluth, MN
Here is a fun 24"w x 24"h painting titled Night Shift. I suppose I would call this a playful take on texture. Texture can be achieved by the tactile feel of a work of art to the touch, and it can also be found visually as well. At least in my humble opinion, which was often times disregarded when I was in art school but that's a story for another day. Anyways ... this piece features a rocky shoreline with icy cobalt underbrush that is highlighted by the moon, which is centrally located in the composition. The moon reflects off the deep ultramarine blue lake. Across the lake, the repetition of rocks, along with underbrush, deep blue pines and a distant blue stand of trees are layered to really add that visual texture I was referring to earlier. The birches, along with their male and female cardinal covered branches are standing out against this stark blue landscape. Winter has been so cold here, it was just bound to make it's way into my work, influencing me with the blues and darkness associated with this time of year. The cardinals don't seem to care in this piece however, they're busy gabbing when they should be working the night shift. Please contact Siiviis Gallery in Duluth, MN for more information on this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment