Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mossy Birchland


"Mossy Birchland", 16"w x 20"h
Today's piece features a new element for me ... moss. I've tried to capture the color of mossy rocks before, but with this new work I was influenced by the moss growing on birch trees around my home. I took some reference photos and put some thought into what may look best. I enjoyed the greens on the birch trees, and pictured a landscape where the trees, rocks, and forest floor all echoed the greens in the black areas of the birch trees. What this painting has done has opened up a wide range of new ideas and the tough part is picking which to paint! I'll be sharing more down the road, but for today, this painting makes me smile, looking forward to what another day will bring. All my best, Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment