Saturday, November 17, 2012

Green Glade

"Green Glade" 12"w x 9"h
Green is a color that reminds many of Spring and Summer. It's a calming, soothing color. So adding to the title of today's work only seemed natural to me. However, I just looked up the word 'glade' as I often use it, and think I know what it means, but as I discovered it has a deeper meaning. Here's what webster's had to say:

glade  Word Origin & History
"clear, open space in a woods," 1520s, perhaps from M.E. glode (c.1300), from O.N. glaðr "bright" Original meaning would be "bright (because open) space in a wood" (cf. Fr. clairière "glade," from clair "clear, bright;" Ger. Lichtung "clearing, glade,"

When naming this painting, I was thinking about a glade being part of a forest, perhaps a grassy meadow. But when I looked up the word, I realized the 'clear open space in a woods' was a perfect descriptive word for today's work. I love clearings as much as dense woods. My style compels me to look for compositions where I can blend color value across vast space such as sky and lake. Today's piece features a vast open space filled with green that I envision is an evergreen forest backdrop to the golden leafed autumn birch trees in the foreground. 

Perhaps clearing out the clutter and having some clear, open space in my life is in order. :)

Today's painting Green Glade is available at Sivertson Gallery in Grand Marais, MN 

No comments:

Post a Comment