Monday, January 9, 2017

Autumn at the Depot

Autumn at the Depot painting by duluth artist aaron kloss, painting of the depot, depot at night, depot full moon, duluth art institute
"Autumn at the Depot" 36x24
It's a new year and along with changing the calendar I have some new paintings ready to go, and endless ideas to explore this coming year. I thought I'd start this year off with a special piece, this painting is titled Autumn at the Depot, and is 36x24, acrylic on canvas. This piece is my contribution to the Duluth Art Institute's annual membership exhibition. The show is always a fun assortment of emerging artists and grumpy old professional artists like myself .. and everyone inbetween. If you're in the Duluth area anytime between Jan. 26 and Feb. 24 2017, please stop by the Depot to view this piece and many more interesting pieces from the other members. I had fun painting this one, reminiscing on my many trips to the Depot with my children when they were younger to see the trains and play at the children's museum. I used my imagination on this one as well, painting the depot in Autumn while using a winter reference photo I had taken, and also using a night setting which allowed the golds of the foliage and the light cream color of the building to pop against the night sky. The roof is a greenish grayish color, and I also didn't want to try to pair that color against a light blue or gray sky. Otherwise, I slaved away on this piece as the roofline and window details kept me making constant adjustments, but I didn't mind as I wanted this to be a memorable piece, which it is. Here's to a wonderful 2017 filled with life, laughter, color, and joy ... and many more memorable trips to the Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment