Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Music on the Lake

"The Music on the Lake"  36"w x 36"h
This painting, titled The Music on the Lake, is the first reflective composition painting I finished with this new group of spring themed landscapes. This piece features a deep blue water and tree reflection, and trees leafed out in many shades of bright green. I find myself comparing the treeline on the top with the reflection below, looking for similarities yet noting the differences. I've mentioned it before here, but I can't help but think the reflective water speaks about our memories. There are distinct memories, and then vague memories where try as you might, you just can't quite place an event or person in the past. So the reflective trees are a bit distorted and broken. But they are also bright and cheerful, perhaps noting the memories of the past one reflects on that bring a smile to the face, that ease the worry and concern of the present day and hearken to a better place. The title of this piece is from a childhood song in my memory, and the lyric goes: 'listen to the mandolin rain ... listen to the music on the lake ...' it was a beautiful song about a childhood memory, one I relate to. And I love to listen to the music on the lake. This painting can be heard at Sivertson Gallery in Grand Marais, MN. Please contact the gallery for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment