Thursday, December 4, 2014

Cardinal In The Snow


"Cardinal In The Snow"
In honor of my 40th birthday today, I'm posting a new 4"w x 12"h  piece titled Cardinal In The Snow. I've mentioned here before about how I've viewed the cardinal representing those who choose to not follow the crowd, who aren't afraid to be who they're supposed to be. While I wanted to be an artist when I was growing up, I didn't know anyone who was an artist and was directed towards more normal occupational pursuits by teachers and friends. To this day, I still get made fun of for doing what I do, and often people ask what I do for work when I've just told them what I do for work. :) All this to say, at age 40 I'm glad I've chosen the path I've walked and don't have regrets. In many ways I'm that cardinal in the snow, wearing bright red while the rest of my fellow feathered friends blend in to the landscape. If that's what works for them, great. What motivates me to keep painting is perhaps summed up best by a quote from Morgan Freeman: "Get busy living, or get busy dying."
This painting is part of my Retrospective show at Amity Coffee here in Duluth, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment