Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Cordial Cardinal ... and Goldfinches!

"The Cordial Cardinal" 8"w x 8"h
When I painted my first blue jays earlier this year, I thought it would be fun to paint a cardinal and blue jay piece as a way of introduction. The cardinal has been such a great theme for me that I thought it best for and old friend to introduce some new friends (see the post labeled Departure). So I painted a similar piece for the introduction of my newest bird, the goldfinch.

These bright yellow little guys are simple in form, yet visually striking with the gold, black and white contrasting colors. Their bodies have a slightly different shape, and they don't have the signature head spike like the cardinal, yet these goldfinches are streamlined and visually interesting nonetheless. The markings on the wings complement the birch markings well, and I had a great time painting them. I have several new goldfinch pieces at Siiviis and Sivertson galleries so please be sure to contact them if you'd like a little more info. on the availability of size options.

Cool rainy day here in Duluth, MN. I'm currently working on remodeling my studio (in my spare time .. what's that??) so I'm painting in my sunroom which is surrounded by green leafed hardwood trees and shrubs and is a very restful, secluded place to paint. Maybe I'll see a goldfinch or two today ...


No comments:

Post a Comment