Monday, April 7, 2014

The Land of the Loon


"The Land of the Loon", 36"w x 24"

Here's a new piece titled The Land of the Loon. This one is 36"w x 24"h. A simple color palette of cobalt, crimson and gold that complements each other and sets off the foreground birches really well. The repetition of the elements in this piece also really bounce the eye around. At first, I was lamenting the subtle darker quality this piece has, but as I've been viewing it, it has really grown on me, and I bet it has something to do with the glazing of the paint and brushwork. The black canvas is visible through much of the painting, which gives the color an underlying gray quality. Just one of those happy accidents when you just let the painting happen, as I often endeavor to do. I have quite a few little paintings to upload now as I've been taking a break from the computer as of late. Not sure why, perhaps it's this weather ... making me feel a bit ... loony. Stop back soon to the land of the loon ... northern Minnesota.
This piece is part of my upcoming show at Your Art's Desire Gallery, Minnetonka, MN. The show is available for viewing May 24 - June 30, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment