Monday, August 6, 2012

Cardinal Series at Sivertson Gallery

Golden Sky Triptych, Acrylic on 3-4"x4" canvases

Glitter, Acrylic on 4"x4" canvas
Working in a series can be rewarding and challenging at the same time. On one hand, you'd think it would be easy ... you don't have to struggle to find a subject matter. On the other hand, you don't want every painting to look the same. I work in a series until I feel like I've accomplished something and said what I wanted to say before moving on to another subject. If I feel like I'm trying to perfect the subject, I know I've gone too far ... I'm expressing moods and emotions through paint, not trying for realism, although in my youth I chased after photo realism in art but that's a topic for another day. Today, these festive fowls are set against a golden background that sparkles like the sun off the water. I'll be posting several more this week from this series, and I'll group them according to color. Happy Monday! -A

No comments:

Post a Comment