Thursday, November 14, 2013

Land of the Cobalt Birches

"Land of the Cobalt Birches" 8"w x 10"h
I titled this painting Land of the Cobalt Birches as it accurately describes the color and subject of this piece. This may seem like a simple painting, really, but it's an exercise in color value and composition when you really get down to it. The birch trees with their stark white bark stand out against a rich cobalt blue background that incorporates a cobalt blue ridge line. The foreground cobalt blue rocks repeat the color and depth of the background, using that wonderful composition theme of repetition. The light descends from above in all three cobalt elements, so that they stand out from each other. Perhaps I'm drawn to this theme due to it's simplistic minimalistic nature which fits so well with who I am, but I also know I'm drawn to the color of a twilight lit landscape. It seems as though when I walk through the galleries now that everyone is painting bright paintings ... and then there's my subtle quiet work. Perhaps I stand out a bit, but then again, that's just me. Please contact Lizzards Gallery for more information on today's pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment